2012-08-12

HVAC. Part I

All along, it was my plan to remove the AC, because I just didn't want to deal with it, and this car is never going to be a daily driver.

I had planned to keep the heater because, in my head, if I got stuck in the rain on the way back from a track day or what-have-you, I could blow some warm air on the window to keep it from fogging up too badly.

I did plan on removing the heater valve, however.  Modern Hondas don't have heater valves, so surely my 1998 doesn't need one either.

I went to take off the hose from the heater core.  When you're working with steel joints, you can put a pair of pliers over the hose and twist it until it un-bonds itself from the joint.  Then it pulls off pretty easily.

In a pretty epic brain-fart, I forgot the heater core has aluminum joints.  For the non-metallurgist types following along, aluminum joints are weak.

Pic 1 shows the heater valve that I had planned to remove:



Pic 2 shows my handiwork on the heater core joint.



I tried to re-round the joint, but it will never seal again... and honestly, it's just the reason I was looking for to take the heater core out.

More on that later.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment