2012-08-07

Extraction

we're not going to call it a heart transplant just yet, because even to this day (Beg-August 2012), my new engine isn't in yet.  It's ordered, but it's not in.  More on that later.

Anyways, I have a lovely Harbor Freight engine crane that I bought from my old roommate (thanks Gskoff, who's blog is linked at the bottom of this page).

Hook it all up with chains and high-tension eyelets (go to WalMart... in the Automotive section, there's a 5000 lb tow chain.  Buy that and cut out the center link, and now you have enough chain and two high-tension eyelets with which to extract the engine).



Go to Harbor Freight again and buy a load leveler.  Can you take an engine out of an engine bay without a load leveler?  Can you put an engine back in without a load leveler?  Yes.  But you'll save yourself more than 20 bucks worth of headaches.  Plus, it's my opinion that you should be building an arsenal of tools as you can afford them, and the Harbor Freight model shown here is reasonably good quality for the price.



Now, she's airborne.



In certain parts of the country, Ohio included, you have license to use the Redneck Engine Stand.  Tire shops will most likely dismount an old tire for free (tip the dudes at least).



...and you're left with this mess of an engine room.



My plan is to clean the engine bay without shooting new paint.  Honestly, there's nothing too bad beyond a little surface rust in here, and I'm sure if I painted, I'd just make it worse.  There's a lot of great examples of concourse-quality engine bays out there, and while I admire the work put into those, that's not what I'm going for with this little guy.

One thing I cannot stress enough is to buy and read the service manual.  Especially if you're doing this for the first time, that could be the difference between properly removing heavy things and breaking crap... or worse, hurting yourself.

and thanks for reading this build "thread".  As always, I'm skipping a majority of the steps taken, so feel free to ask technical questions in the comments or by email.

k thanks bye

-kwan

No comments:

Post a Comment