2012-10-14

Hasport EKK2 Mounts

Santa came and left a package on my doorstep.  And it's the middle of the summer.



He left me Hasport EKK2 mounts (the ones you use with the EG/DC subframe and steering rack, which I've had on my car for awhile) and Hasport Axles.

Open the box and I'm greeted with an instruction manual that was printed from a printer with no ink.  Fortunately, Hasport publishes their manuals on their website, but I don't have my computer in the garage, and I don't have a printer.  Regardless, I'll let this slide.



Here's the mounts.  They're veritable works of art.





Except for this little guy.  That's a weld bead that is running onto the mating surface (where mount mates to body).  DO NOT INSTALL THE MOUNT IN THE CAR LIKE THIS.  Your local contact pressure is gonna be through the roof; the weld bead may yeild a little, and once that happens, that bolt is as good as gone.  Now you've got two bolt points and the mount bracket grenades itself due to vibration.  Now your engine's supported by the trans mount and the rear mount.  That won't last long.  Let's say I were an automotive OEM.  If I got a part like this from a supplier, they'd be making new ones.



But I'm not an automotive OEM.  I'm just a joe schmoe working out of my garage.

Clamp it in a vice, use a Makita 4" grinder (in hindsight, a sanding disc would have been adequate).











Mask it off, shoot some paint, and voila, your mount is ready to install.  But not so fast.







The Hasport mount interferes with the body sealer.  Take a dremel with a nylon brush attachment, and brush away the section that the mount touches.







Once you're done with that, the mount is really ready to install.  Go ahead and bolt it up.

Hasport basically is the industry standard for mounts.  However, I'd be very interested to see how the Hybrid Racing ones stack up against these.

<3
jkwan.  that's not my real name by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment