2011-05-18

Subframes and Racks

Please enjoy a brief overview of steering racks and subframes...

Here's the stock steering rack from my Civic.  I'm guessing the rack with the S04 labels were applied on several EK (1996-2000 Civic) chassis, assuming it wasn't a CX with manual steering.



Here's the stock tie rod ends.  I guess I'll replace them:



Here's the DC subframe from which the previously-dismantled steering rack/steering gear is from:



There's two ways to tell a DC (1994-2001) subframe from an EG (1992-1995) subframe, as far as I know.  First, the DC part has a cross-bar, seen in the above and below pictures.  Also, Integras came with power steering.  Some EGs did not.  A power rack is bigger in diameter than a manual rack, so the welded-on bracket (circled in red) has a relief for a round bushing (arrow) in the below picture, as opposed to a smaller-diameter D-shaped bushing of the EG manual racks.

If however the EG came with power steering, the cross bar may be the only difference.

In good news, the EG subframes already have the weld-nuts for the crossbar, so if you can find the bar in a junkyard, it will bolt straight up to your EG subframe.



Finally, here's the hotness I got from Pick-and-Pull: a 1993 Civic DX manual-steering rack and subframe!  This is how to properly install manual steering on your EK.



hasta luego
-jkwan

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, I've been having issues with finding a newish subframe for my 98 civic cx, as mine is rusted out (no surprise) where do you recommend I look? I noticed you found this one from a junk yard..wondering if there's any hope in finding one on the interwebs.
    Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete