2011-06-05

Manuel steering

First of all, I know manual is spelled "manual".  I just love when I'm gettin my craigslist on, and people are like "yo buy my car, it's got a manuel transmission".  But I digress.

I previously mentioned that I didn't think that back-converting an Integra power-steering rack to manual steering was a great idea, so my homie Taku and I hit up the Pick and Pull for some new-to-me parts.  There were lots of EG civics surprisingly, and one had the exact thing I wanted: an in-tact steering rack and subframe.

It was looking rough, but I took a bit of PB blaster and some soap and water to it and got it looking pretty.





You'll notice I snatched the DC Integra cross-brace (red arrows, second pic above) and bolted it to the EG subframe.  It's a direct bolt-on since the weld-nuts are already there.  Some Honda engineer 20 years ago knew that you'd want to do this swap.  Don't torque this down until the subframe is securely fixed to the body.

If you do this swap, you'll also need a rear engine mount bracket from a car fitting this description: 1992-1995 Civic, D-series engine, manual transmission.  This required a second run to Pick and Pull, and thanks again to Taku for helping me yet again.



You'll see the bracket labeled EG.  When building a car, first go to Joanne Fabrics.  This is not a joke.  Buy bright-colored Sharpie paint markers.  When you buy parts or remove parts, label them.  When you torque bolts down, mark it.  You'll see your car came from the factory with many such marks (look at the subframe bolts).  It's a good idea.

The last step is the steering universal joint.  This is the most difficult part, oddly enough.  Don't fit the subframe to the body with the universal joint on the rack.  Take it off and fit it later.  Learn from my mistakes.  The universal only fits on the steering column at one angle (clock position), but can be fit 360-deg around the steering gear.  Live and learn.



I'm still amazed at how all this stuff just bolts right up.  These old Civics and Integras are like legos for big kids.  Big, rusty Legos.

ZZZZzzzzz
-jkwan

No comments:

Post a Comment