2015-05-03

Fuel Pressure Gauge

My fuel rail already has a pressure gauge... but I spent a pretty penny on an SPA Technique dual gauge (link), which I use to set and monitor fuel pressure.  The Marshall gauge I got from Hybrid Racing always had a mismatch to my digital gauge, which bugs me, so as a sanity check, decided to double check with another analog gauge.

The scale of the Marshall gauge is a little high (0-100 psi), losing resolution for the same overall sweep, so I ordered a 0-60 psi gauge from Jegs.  A note when installing NPT fittings... these fittings require some form of thread sealant.  DO NOT USE TAPE!  Tape can dislodge and cause issues.  Order Earl's pipe sealant, which is safe for liquid, gas, fuel, air, and oil interfaces.  Which basically encompasses any interface on which you could possibly use a pipe thread.







Side note, one thing that really bugged me about the Hybrid Racing fuel rail is that there are SAE -08 straight thread ports (also known as O-Ring Boss, or ORB ports), and the included fittings come with O-rings.  But the O-rings are NOT THE RIGHT SIZE.  They get destroyed the first time you use them.  Do yourself a favor... take the stock o-rings and bring them promptly to the trash can.  Go to the Jegs website and order Earl's -08 O-rings.  You can choose the Buna or Viton for a fuel system using standard unleaded gasoline.  (Don't believe me?  Check out material compatibility here).

Here's a pic of the o-rings after you install and remove them



and here's a comparison of the Hybrid Racing ones (left) vs Correct / Earls ones (right)





So anyways, here's my new Jegs gauge installed.






The thread sealant needs several hours to set, so I'll let it do its thing and go watch the pacquiao mayweather fight.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
04-May Update

So today I wanted to verify the agreement of the digital gauge and the analog gauge.

Turned the IG on to prime the pump and checked it out.





Looks good!  Now I'm happy.

One cool side benefit of running an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, as opposed to the factory setup, is that the Aeromotive FPR bleeds down over a short period of time.  I've never timed it, but it's probably no longer than an hour or two.  This makes fuel system maintenance nice and easy, since there will be no pressure stored in the lines.

Here's the pressure after a matter of minutes:



But I exposed another problem.  Under load (just the fuel pump load for cryin out loud), the battery voltage dropped to 8.8 volts.  For those playing along at home, this means it's dead dead.

Lucky for me, I get to spend more money on a new battery for this beast.

that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment